- Ph.D., Anthropology, University of Florida (in progress)
- M.A., Anthropology, University of Florida, 2013
- B.A., Anthropology and History, Howard University, 2009
Historical Archaeology of Africa and the African Diaspora, Postcolonial Theory, World Systems, Atlantic and Indian Ocean Slave Trade, Representation and Identity, Oral History, African American History, Ethnoarchaeology, Maritime Landscapes
Dunnavant, Justin. In Press Access Denied: African Americans and Access to End-of-Life Care in Nineteenth Century Washington, D.C. Historical Archaeology 51(1).
Dunnavant, Justin. 2014 Excavating a Pioneer from the Archives: William Leo Hansberry and African Archaeology. The Archive Issue. Archaeological Review from Cambridge (29)2: 34-49.
King, Eleanor and Justin Dunnavant. 2008 Buffalo Soldiers and Apaches in the Guadalupe Mountains: A Review of Research at Pine Springs Camp. Bulletin of the Texas Archaeological Society 78: 87-94.
Grants, Fellowships, and Awards
- Vanderbilt Academic Pathways Postdoctoral Fellowship, Fall 2018 – Spring 2020
- University of California President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship, Fall 2017 – Spring 2018
- Graduate School Doctoral Research Travel Award, Summer 2016
- Charles H. Fairbanks Fellowship, Summer 2016
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship, Fall 2014 – Spring 2017
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship, Amharic, Fall 2013 – Spring 2014
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship, Amharic, Summer 2013
- McKnight Doctoral Fellowship, Fall 2011 – Spring 2016
- Grinter Fellowship, Fall 2010 – Fall 2012
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship, Swahili, Fall 2010 – Spring 2011
- Board of Education Summer Fellowship, Summer 2010
- Fulbright US Scholars Program, Jamaica, Fall 2009 – Summer 2010