University of Florida Homepage

Graduate student Megan Hanna Fry receives NSF award

Graduate student Megan Hanna Fry receives the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) grant in Spring 2020. She shares a few of her thoughts below:

“I joined the department in the fall of 2018, working with Dr. John Krigbaum and Dr. James Davidson focusing in bioarchaeology. I received my B.A. from the University of Cincinnati, and in 2019 my M.A. from the University of Florida. In addition, I am the current Coordinating-Editor for the New Florida Journal of Anthropology. I was awarded the Graduate Research Fellowship from the National Science Foundation (NSF-GRF), starting fall 2020, which provides 3 years of funding toward my degree, allowing me to focus on my research and coursework.

In my research I broadly aim to understand settlement and social relations across Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms. I utilize isotope, funerary, and osteological data to investigate health and mobility in Early-Mediaeval Britain. More specifically, I am trying to answer questions about violent death and identity. I compare heavy and light isotope values to mortuary and skeletal trauma data to understand if victims of ritual violent death were more likely to be migrants during the 4th to 9th centuries.”