Friday Bulletin May 25, 2018
Additional Items of Interest
AfAA Student Paper Awards
Bennetta Jules-Rosette Graduate Essay Award
The Association for Africanist Anthropology (AfAA) sponsors the annual Bennetta Jules-Rosette Graduate Student Essay Award. The prize is awarded to the best graduate student essay in Africanist anthropology. Contributions from all sub-fields of anthropology are welcome. Special emphasis seeks to highlight emerging perspectives with promise to develop as a major contribution to the fields of Africanist anthropology, African studies, or African diaspora studies. Submissions should be sent to Bennetta Jules-Rosette (firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>). In determining the award, the following criteria will be applied:
* Originality of scholarship, creativity of insight, and quality of writing.
* Clear potential for contribution to the fields of Africanist anthropology, African studies, or African diaspora studies. Special consideration will be given to work that incorporates emerging perspectives or interdisciplinary methodologies, which promote the further understanding of sub-Saharan Africa and the African diaspora by a broader audience.
* Clear potential for continued innovative research, leading toward a dissertation or major publication on the part of the author.
* Candidates must not have completed their PhD at the time of nomination, and all award recipients must be members of the AfAA.
* The deadline for submission is June 30, 2018. Submissions should include a letter of nomination by a scholar other than the author, a copy of the nominated paper, and a full C.V. of the author.
* The Award consists of a $500 prize. Awardees will be recognized and receive their prize at the AfAA reception during the annual meetings of the AAA.
Nancy “Penny” Schwartz Undergraduate Student Essay Award
The Association for Africanist Anthropology (AfAA) sponsors the annual Nancy “Penny” Schwartz Undergraduate Paper Award. The prize is awarded to the best undergraduate paper in Africanist anthropology. Submissions should be sent to J.R. Osborn (firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>). In determining the award, the following criteria will be applied:
* Originality of scholarship, creativity of insight, and quality of writing. A well-argued and innovative perspective on a current issue of concern to Africanist and African diaspora scholarship or to the issues facing Africa more generally.
* Clear potential for supporting future research at the graduate level or beyond. Special consideration will be given to undergraduates planning to pursue a career in anthropology or in service and education on the African continent.
* Original research involving primary materials or fieldwork is useful, but not essential for consideration.
* Note: We do not accept multi-chapter undergraduate theses. Thesis submissions should select a strong representative chapter and submit that along with an abstract of the full project.
* Candidates must not have completed their undergraduate studies at the time of nomination. Candidates for the Undergraduate Paper Award do not need to be members of the AfAA.
* The deadline for submission is June 30, 2018. Submissions should include a letter of nomination by an academic mentor and a copy of the student paper.
* The Award consists of a $100 cash prize plus registration for the Annual Meetings of the AAA. Awardees will be recognized and receive their prize at the AfAA reception during the annual meetings of the AAA.
University of West Georgia
The Department of Anthropology at the University of West Georgia invites applications for a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level that will include responsibilities as the Director of the Antonio J. Waring, Jr. Archaeology Laboratory (https://waring.westga.edu/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__waring.westga.edu_&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=cq1_VsyC10-zGoAbTqETgA&m=85orPKG2zavlwDmMhr5DWqRciBgYb7e6RuVCp-B8LBs&s=tIOgOHcxzKl9EI5bkDN5UyK7HE2MnuSopiVggz3WCBw&e=>), beginning August 2018.
Qualifying candidates for the position will have a Ph.D. in Anthropology with a specialization in southeastern U.S. archaeology, an active research agenda, curation and public outreach experience, and demonstrated excellence in teaching. Teaching will include Introduction to Anthropology (4-subfield), Introduction to Archaeology, other general education courses as needed, and courses in the area of specialty.
Ideal qualifications include experience with public outreach, experience working with NAGPRA and local and state agencies, and the ability to teach Introduction to Statistics and Cultural Resources Management.
Review of applications will begin June 1, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. Send letter of application with a statement of qualifications and research interests, a vision statement for maintaining and building on laboratory initiatives, your vitae, and the names/addresses of three references to Dr. Lisa Gezon at firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>.
The University of West Georgia (www.westga.edu<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.westga.edu&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=cq1_VsyC10-zGoAbTqETgA&m=85orPKG2zavlwDmMhr5DWqRciBgYb7e6RuVCp-B8LBs&s=F06V2Rp3O8qidVh_Wbju9Eri8ja0l0gbHCCq-Kcz2iY&e=> ) is a coeducational, residential, liberal arts institution located 45 miles west of Atlanta in Carrollton, Georgia. UWG is a regional comprehensive university and is part of the University System of Georgia. The Department of Anthropology offers a B.S. in Anthropology. Minority candidates and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The University of West Georgia is an AA/EOE.
UWG is a qualifying employer under the Department of Education Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (PSLF). This program provides student loan repayment and forgiveness for qualifying loans for eligible full-time employees. See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__studentaid.ed.gov_sa_repay-2Dloans_forgiveness-2Dcancellation_public-2Dservice&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=cq1_VsyC10-zGoAbTqETgA&m=85orPKG2zavlwDmMhr5DWqRciBgYb7e6RuVCp-B8LBs&s=79Qwjz3XLgjT_wYMauWRjPci56fROLpEzijPtaKkX3o&e=> for more information.