The Armadillo Roast (#armadilloroast) is the spring social event for the UF Anthropology Department. It originated from a field school party at Fort Center in 1966. The roast became an official annual function for the department in 1972. It is also a fund-raising event for the Charles H. Fairbanks Scholarship, which is awarded to graduate students in archaeology. Read more about Charles H. Fairbanks.
Where and when is it?
The 49th Annual Armadillo Roast will be held in Spring 2020. More information to follow.
What does it cost?
The Armadillo Roast is a fundraiser for the Charles H. Fairbanks Scholarship. Donations are accepted at the door. The suggested donation is $10 per person (kids eat for free).
Do you actually roast armadillos?
The Armadillo Roast hosts a mystery meat competition every year. While armadillo is a possible mystery meat choice, past competitions have used yak, ostrich, goat, ox, and more. A small entry fee is required to join in tasting and guessing the mystery meats. A prize is awarded for the person who guesses correctly.
What’s this about a pie contest?
Every year there is a pie contest. As this is an archaeology fundraiser, entries are categorized in ceramic themes:
- Tempered: a pie with an added ingredient, e.g. apples or pecans
- Untempered: a pie with only creme or puree
- Decorated: A notable example was a piecrust molded to look like Dr. Fairbanks!
Are there any other activities?
Join in the annual horseshoe competition! For those that haven’t played before, horseshoes is a tough competition at the Armadillo Roast. Teams of two are formed and compete against each other. Attendees will also have the chance to try their hand at spear throwing, using atlatls provided by the Department.
What should I bring?
We request that attendees bring a side dish to share and we encourage everyone to bring their own cups to reduce plastic waste. Donations are suggested to help cover beverages and grilling goods. All proceeds from the event go towards the Charles H. Fairbanks Scholarship Fund.
Is there any way that I can remember this event forever?
Every year a new t-shirt is designed for the Armadillo Roast by graduate students in the department and sold at the event. Contact FASA to learn more about pricing and availability. Explore the Design Gallery below to check out past designs. Surplus stock of past t-shirts are typically available at the Armadillo Roast, for a reduced price.
History of Designs
Past HostsClick for the past hosts
- 1st 1972
- 2nd 1973
- 3rd 1974 Steve Cumbaa and Nick Honerkamp
- 4th 1975 Tim Kohler
- 5th 1976 Jill Loucks
- 6th 1977 Theresa Singleton
- 7th 1978 Bob Johnson
- 8th 1979 Alan McMichael
- 9th 1980 John Bostwick
- 10th 1981 Jennifer Hamilton and Barry Hart
- 11th 1982 Tom DesJean and Tom Eubanks
- 12th 1983 Patricia Kelly and Marvin Smith
- 13th 1984 Eloise Gadus and Ken Johnson
- 14th 1985 Charles Ewen and Karen Jo Walker
- 15th 1986 Nina Borremans and Ed Chaney
- 16th 1987 Bonnie McEwen and Mike Russo
- 17th 1988 Jim Cusick and Susan deFrance
- 18th 1989 Bill Johnson and Claudine Payne
- 19th 1990 Marc Frank and Ashley Swift
- 20th 1991 George Avery and Paul Jones
- 21st 1992 Ricardo Fernandez-Sardina and Ruth Trocolli
- 22nd 1993 Brinnen Carter and Mary Herron
- 23rd 1994 Robert Patton and Robin Shtulman
- 24th 1995 Flordeliz Bugarin and Matt Curtis
- 25th 1996 Deborah Pober
- 26th 1997 Diane Kloetzer and Jonathan Walz
- 27th 1998 Donna Nash
- 28th 1999 Birgitta Kimura and Gifford Waters
- 29th 2000 Rebecca Kiracofe and Al Woods
- 30th 2001 Patrick O’Day, Sharyn Jones O’Day, Tanya Peres, and Pete Sinelli
- 31th 2002 Jane Anne Blakney-Bailey, Rebecca Klein, and Dawn Ramsey
- 32nd 2003 Meggan Blessing, Sean Connaughton, and Scott Hussey
- 33rd 2004 Scott Palumbo, Jamie Waggoner, and Neill Wallis
- 34rd 2005 Michelle LeFebvre, Erika Roberts, and Bryan Tucker
- 35th 2006 Ethan Cole, Renzo Duin, and Ingrid Newquist
- 36th 2007 Edward Tennant, Rocio de la Fuente, Mike Kay
- 37th 2008 Rebecca Gorman and Karen McIlvoy
- 38th 2009 Jeremy Pye, Randy Crones, Ryan Van Dyke, Zack Gilmore
- 39th 2010 Chris Altes, Rachel Black, Kristen Bright, Jason O’Donoughue, and Jason Wenzel
- 40th 2011 Ellen Lofaro, Andrea Palmiotto, Ashley Sharpe, Lucas Martindale Johnson, Rachel Ianneli, Paulette McFadden, and Jeffrey Vadala
- 41st 2012 James Crandall, Stephanie Boothby, Michael Wylde, Justin Dunnevant, Kacie Allen, Melissa Ayvaz, Michelle Eusebio
- 42nd 2013 Kylie Bermensolo, Petra Cunningham-Smith, Miriam Dominguez, Lisa Duffy, Amanda Groff, Scott Macrae, David Markus, and Yeneneh Terefe
- 44th Mallory Messersmith and Sydney Roberson
- 45th Liz Ibarrola and Kevin McDaniel