University of Florida Homepage

Maxine L. Margolis, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus

Interests

Transnational migration, Women’s roles in the United States, Gender roles cross-culturally, Anthropological theory, Anthropological ecology, Frontier agriculture, Brazil; United States; Paraguay

Programs

Cultural Anthropology

Personal Statement

My research specialties include Brazilian culture and society, international migration and gender roles cross-culturally. I have done field work in Brazil, Paraguay, and the United States. My most recent book, True to Her Nature (Waveland 2000), analyzes the material causes for shifts– from Colonial days to the present–in American attitudes towards women’s employment, housework and child care. Over the last decade my research has taken a new focus: Brazilian emigration to the United States. I conducted the first academic studies of this new migrant flow. This interest has resulted in the publication of two books, Little Brazil: Brazilian Immigrants in New York City (Princeton University Press, 1994) and An Invisible Minority: Brazilians in New York City (Allyn & Bacon 1998), as well as numerous articles. It has also led me to develop a course, Seminar in Transnational Migration.

Office
Grinter Hall
PO 117305
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611-7305

Email : maxinem@ufl.edu